Stolen Moments

I am having some difficulties with organizing my time now that I no longer have grad school assignments and deadlines.

I'm blogging less as well, even though in theory I have more time to write.

My theory: blogging was a way of stealing time for myself in a schedule that was overfilled with obligation.

I am in the process of reinventing how I use my time. I have a one word New Year's resolution this year: "timely". To me, that means more than meeting deadlines. It means getting where I need to be slightly early whenever possible. It means being as attentive to ending the workday as I am to beginning it, leaving myself adequate time for my life away from the office desk. It means learning how to use my time for myself in addition to the benchmarks I must meet for others.

I am finding this to be more difficult than I had imagined. It may take me much of a year to realize one word in my life.

Comments

  1. Good intentions. David Allen points out that we need to take care that we do not work against our natural flow ... for example, I no longer care that I am less attentive at the end of the work day. Mornings are my time. Afternoons, no so much. By the end of the day, I'm in the lull before the next active phase. Discipline will keep me active in the late afternoon but cannot keep me 'on'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great intentions.

    David Allen suggests taking care that discipline does not counter natural flow. For example, I am Morning. Energy lags in the late afternoon. Discipline can keep me grinding away but it cannot make me as good as I am in the morning.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please support the EGFR Resisters Research Fund!

To help improve outcomes for people like me with EGFR mutated lung cancer, please donate to the EGFR Resisters' Research Fund. All donations are tax deductible and are in a restricted fund with the Bonnie Addario Lung Cancer Foundation, a four-star rated charity. Thank you from the bottom of my heart!


Popular posts from this blog

Telling stories to myself

My Carbon Footprint Grows Ever Larger

New Year, Old Dusty Blog