Homegrown Tomatoes

It's been a cool, rainy summer this year. Right now it's 70 degrees outside, and raining again.

The height-of-summer veggies have been slowed by the lack of degree days. Last week saw the very first tomatoes in the CSA box - two tiny little things, not much bigger than grape tomatoes. I believe, though, that the box tomorrow will have more. The week after that should see the first local sweet corn of the season at Farmer Bill and Annie's.

One of the best songs that Stringfolks does is "Homegrown Tomatoes" by Guy Clark. We have killer 3- or 4-part vocal harmonies (depending on how many people in the band can make it to the gig), and begin and end a cappella. If there is a song we should have recorded, this is one - and alas, we have not.

HOMEGROWN TOMATOES (Guy Clark)

Ain't nothin' in the world that I like better
Than bacon & lettuce & homegrown tomatoes
Up in the mornin' out in the garden
Get you a ripe one don't get a hard one
Plant `em in the spring eat `em in the summer
All winter with out `em's a culinary bummer
I forget all about the sweatin' & diggin'
Everytime I go out & pick me a big one

Homegrown tomatoes homegrown tomatoes
What'd life be without homegrown tomatoes
Only two things that money can't buy
That's true love & homegrown tomatoes

You can go out to eat & that's for sure
But it's nothin' a homegrown tomato won't cure
Put `em in a salad, put `em in a stew
You can make your very own tomato juice
Eat `em with eggs, eat `em with gravy
Eat `em with beans, pinto or navy
Put `em on the side put `em in the middle
Put a homegrown tomato on a hotcake griddle

Homegrown tomatoes homegrown tomatoes
What'd life be without homegrown tomatoes
Only two things that money can't buy
That's true love & homegrown tomatoes

If I's to change this life I lead
I'd be Johnny Tomato Seed
`Cause I know what this country needs
Homegrown tomatoes in every yard you see
When I die don't bury me
In a box in a cemetary
Out in the garden would be much better
I could be pushin' up homegrown tomatoes

Homegrown tomatoes homegrown tomatoes
What'd life be without homegrown tomatoes
Only two things that money can't buy
That's true love & homegrown tomatoes

I urge you to seek a version of your own - there are recordings by Guy Clark, John Denver, and Jay Unger & Molly Mason. In the meantime, go out and find yourself a homegrown tomato.

Comments

Please support the EGFR Resisters Research Fund!

To help improve outcomes for people like me with EGFR mutated lung cancer, please donate to the EGFR Resisters' Research Fund. All donations are tax deductible and are in a restricted fund with the Bonnie Addario Lung Cancer Foundation, a four-star rated charity. Thank you from the bottom of my heart!


Popular posts from this blog

Telling stories to myself

My Carbon Footprint Grows Ever Larger

New Year, Old Dusty Blog