In my own mind, and miscellaneous updates

I'm still blogging in my own mind as I drive to work in the morning. The words don't make it back to my fingers and a keyboard, however. No big losses, I haven't come up with either a good solution to the world's problems, or with a good question about them. I'm thinking right now of the lyrics to a song that Stringfolks sang last night, "In My Own Mind" by Lyle Lovett:

VERSE 1
I get up in the morning
I drink a cup of coffee
I look out of the window
I try to get it started
I turn it all over
Plow it all under
I plant 'em in the springtime
Pick 'em in the summer

CHORUS
I live in my own mind
Ain't nothin but a good time
No rain just the sunshine
Out here in my own mind
I live where I can breathe
Ain't nothin but a cool breeze
Nobody that it won't please
Out here where I can breathe

There is some news around here.

In the "wife of a politician" department, the planned Stringfolks gig in October to raise money for local candidates and the Russell Opera House renovation fund is off. The people who led the opposition to my husband during his first go-round as Town Supervisor control the committee that controls the Opera House. Very friendly as long as we were only writing nice checks for the project, but no so much now that R's hat is officially in the ring again. A private meeting outside of the regular committee meeting set a policy that the hall cannot be used for politics. It's aggravating, and amusing, and the first shot in a campaign that assuredly will be at least partly negative. The word out is that the current Town Supervisor did not file his independent petition in time, and is not running after all. R. finds out today.

In the "mother" department, our daughter is home for an unexpectedly long visit. Alas, dental sealants fail and wisdom teeth grow, and a routine checkup uncovered work that needs to be done. She looked at her schedule and realized that she didn't need to travel back to Montreal, only to come back a few days later for her follow-up appointment, especially since she had her computer, her Wii, and her knitting with her. She has found clothes in her closet that fit, is borrowing a few things from me, and is hanging out with the hot tub and the kitties. I'm taking the day off today to hang out with her.

In the "musician" department, we gigged last night at the Psych Center. A small audience, but very engaged, singing and drumming along with us. My ears are ringing today, though, due to the volume of sound in a space with nothing but hard surfaces. There is a lot of hearing loss in my family, and I'm afraid that I am doomed to be another person saying "could you speak up?" in the future... I will have to speak to the leader of the band (and controller of the volume) about this.

In the "work" department, I am chilling before a very important meeting with our major funder next week. I have dissected and analyzed our budget, digging deep. It's amazing how much you can still learn about a piece of work you have been doing for nine years, and it takes only a hard question or two. There will be more hard questions, and possibly a hard announcement, next Thursday.

In the "knitting" department, I have had material for another knitting blog for some time, but need to take a better picture of the finished project on its recipient. I have two projects on the needles right now, socks for my father and a shawl for me. I have made plans for an exciting excursion into the alternate universe of the completely fiber obsessed this fall - I will be going to Rhinebeck! I've signed up to take a cool geeky course from Annie Modesitt that may change the way I knit. I need to save my pennies, because there will be many opportunities to buy luscious yarn.

In the "sailing" department, we hope to get out on the boat with our daughter this weekend, and have a fun, fun, fun trip planned with a friend next weekend. We are sailing to the Kingston Blues Festival. Woo hoo! - our first trip to the festival in a few years, because this year we do NOT have to schlep a kid to college over the last weekend of August. There is gonna be good music, good food, and good company.

Yes, there is much good in my life right now. No need to do a lot of work on the questions and answers to the problems, except in my own mind as I drive to work

Comments

Please support the EGFR Resisters Research Fund!

To help improve outcomes for people like me with EGFR mutated lung cancer, please donate to the EGFR Resisters' Research Fund. All donations are tax deductible and are in a restricted fund with the Bonnie Addario Lung Cancer Foundation, a four-star rated charity. Thank you from the bottom of my heart!


Popular posts from this blog

Telling stories to myself

My Carbon Footprint Grows Ever Larger

New Year, Old Dusty Blog