Needlework Fun for Easter Sunday

I've been spending some of my finite hours of life over at Ravelry, a web resource for knitters and crocheters. The people who hang out over there are a lively, creative crew. I discovered that crocheters have been developing a new form of expression that is pure fun.

Amigurumi.

As you might expect from the name, this phenomenon started in Japan. It is growing like wildfire. The basic tenet: if it is three-dimensional, you can make a small, cute version. Frogs and teddy bears are big, but imaginations run wild and the field of expression is not limited to the conventionally cute. I've seen pirates, ninjas, skulls, sea slugs, narwhals, goldfish, and much more.

Here is a sampling for your viewing pleasure.

First of all, a little something for your Easter basket! Source: needlenoodles.etsy.com



Now that the sweet tooth is satisfied, you probably need some protein. How about some sushi? Source: needlenoodles.etsy.com



Now that our tummies are filled, we can move on to pure fun. Here are three amigurumi patterns I fancy:

An jellyfish! Source: needlenoodles.etsy.com. This is not the only amigurumi designer out there, but I admit that the artistic sensibility struck me. Hey, this one is pink!



This next one is definitely a WANT, because it comes from one of my favorite movies of all time, My Neighbor Totoro by Hayao Miyazaki. The artist has very generously given the pattern to the world at http://heavens-hellcat.livejournal.com/420.html. She also has patterns for a white totoro and a dragon at this site. For more wonderful work, check out her FlickR site: http://www.flickr.com/photos/96575205@N00.




Now, for the culmination of this entry. Another design that is being given to the world, free. And - this one is knitted rather than crocheted! My heart cannot be still when I look at it... I have a bad case of project lust. I already have a request for one from my daughter as well. Please feast your eyes on Extermiknit, available at http://www.entropyhouse.com/penwiper/who/extermaknit.html




Happy Easter! I hope you are smiling. And may the sun also be shining where ever you are.

Comments

Please support the EGFR Resisters Research Fund!

To help improve outcomes for people like me with EGFR mutated lung cancer, please donate to the EGFR Resisters' Research Fund. All donations are tax deductible and are in a restricted fund with the Bonnie Addario Lung Cancer Foundation, a four-star rated charity. Thank you from the bottom of my heart!


Popular posts from this blog

Telling stories to myself

My Carbon Footprint Grows Ever Larger

New Year, Old Dusty Blog