The Third Zero

Yesterday, on the thirtieth day of July, was the third event in a year of zeros for us.

Earlier in the year, Robert had one of those big zero birthdays. Then, we passed the milestone of thirty years of living in this particular place in May.

Yesterday our daughter turned twenty.

Ana and I began the celebration with a whirlwind trip to Rochester to visit my mother. This was our birthday gift to my mom, and included a luxury lunch at Shiki, a wonderful Japanese restaurant in my mother's neighborhood.

Ana had her favorite, sushi. All this for less than $11!



Mom and I had bento boxes. Mine was grilled mackerel, Mom's was tempura shrimp and veggies.



We also made the round of good will shops, where we found some bargains, and the One World shop, a fair trade import store where I found a cookbook that I am very excited about - Simply in Season, commissioned by the Mennonite Central Committee. This book is divided by the seasons, and features recipes with relatively short ingredient lists and seasonal vegetables.

We then ventured into the Pittsford Wegmans, one of the flagship stores of the Wegmans supermarket chain. This particular store is a very fancy place, it even sells orchids.



This Wegmans has a tea bar, and we restored ourselves after some arduous shopping with a cuppa. It was a hard choice, because there were so many possibilities. I regret not taking a picture of the rows of delicate glass bottles with samples of dry loose tea. You lift a glass lid, and smell the tea. I chose a mint chai. Very refreshing.

]

Our celebration yesterday was rushed. I had errands in the morning, and Ana drove up to Cornwall to pick up her BF Michael, who is visiting for a few days. We had gifts, corn on the cob (first of the season!), and chocolate pie. Then Robert and I were off to a Stringfolks gig, giving Ana and Michael some private time together. I don't think they missed us. ;-)

Of all the things I have done in my life, raising a baby girl to adult womanhood has been the most rewarding. This is a cliche, I know, but it is a no less true for having been felt by so many other people through the generations. In fact, that surely makes is more true.

On to the third decade! Bonne chance, Ana!

Comments

Please support the EGFR Resisters Research Fund!

To help improve outcomes for people like me with EGFR mutated lung cancer, please donate to the EGFR Resisters' Research Fund. All donations are tax deductible and are in a restricted fund with the Bonnie Addario Lung Cancer Foundation, a four-star rated charity. Thank you from the bottom of my heart!


Popular posts from this blog

Telling stories to myself

My Carbon Footprint Grows Ever Larger

New Year, Old Dusty Blog