The most interesting thing I read today

I have been very unsettled by the reports today of people shouting scary, ugly things at Republican campaign rallies. "Kill him." "Treason." I'm not the only one.

From Andrew Sullivan at The Daily Dish:

07 Oct 2008 07:07 pm
The "Danger" Of Obama

An Israeli reader writes:
Your post on "The Danger of Obama" immediately brought to mind what happened here in Israel in the period leading up to Yitzhak Rabin's assassination. Even allowing for the differences in political culture between the two countries, some of the sounds we're hearing in the public debate around the election have a haunting echo. Here no one would have thought it possible that an Israeli Jew would take the life of a high official. There's little doubt that the crescendo of demonization toward Rabin – including accusations of treason, flyers picturing Rabin as an SS officer – and the difficulty, in a society guaranteeing free speech, of 'civilizing' the public debate before it creates a fertile bed for actual violence, all helped create the context in which Rabin's murderer decided to take matters into his own hands.
I'd like to see which Republicans will denounce this turn towards demonization. And if there are no takers – maybe Joe Lieberman?


Oh, yeah. I remember Yitzhak Rabin. I lit a candle for him after he died. And I remember what he said: "You don't make peace with friends. You make it with very unsavory enemies." These words of Rabin's have stayed with me for years.

May we not repeat history.

Comments

  1. i've felt this fear, too, being a child of the 60's like you....

    ~sueokieffe

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please support the EGFR Resisters Research Fund!

To help improve outcomes for people like me with EGFR mutated lung cancer, please donate to the EGFR Resisters' Research Fund. All donations are tax deductible and are in a restricted fund with the Bonnie Addario Lung Cancer Foundation, a four-star rated charity. Thank you from the bottom of my heart!


Popular posts from this blog

Telling stories to myself

My Carbon Footprint Grows Ever Larger

New Year, Old Dusty Blog